View of the North School, also known as Aqueduct Street School, c. 1970

Dublin Core

Title

View of the North School, also known as Aqueduct Street School, c. 1970

Subject

North School

Description

Black and white photograph of the front of what was once the North School, also known as Aqueduct Street School, c. 1970, the year the Niagara South Board of Education disposed of it.

It was built in 1862 and was located on the corner of Aqueduct and Smith Streets. It was destroyed by fire in 1873, and a new structure was erected on the same site with many of the old bricks from the ruins of the old buildings. After being removed in 1970 it is now the site of a residential duplex.

Picture and historical information from the compendium "History of the development of public education in the City of Welland, Ontario, Canada (1788-1968)" by J. J. Claude Trudel.

Source

Welland Public Library Local History Collection

Date

c. 1970

Rights

Access to this item is provided for educational and research purposes only. The user assumes responsibility for obtaining permission from the copyright holder to publish or distribute this content.

Format

Black and white photograph

Type

Still image

Identifier

LHC 370.971338 Tru - "History of the development of public education in the City of Welland, Ontario, Canada (1788-1968)"

Coverage

Welland

Files

20240507131904251_0003.jpg

Collection

Citation

“View of the North School, also known as Aqueduct Street School, c. 1970,” Welland Public Library Local History, accessed June 18, 2024, https://omeka.wellandlibrary.ca/items/show/10941.

Geolocation